Sector Development Manager
Closing date: 8 May 2017
Reference number – 1539186
Salary – £35,000
Contract type – Permanent
Hours – 36
Number of posts – 2
Location – Kew, Richmond upon Thames, London, TW9 4DU but home working across the nation is possible
Archives Sector Development is the main focus for The National Archives’ leadership of the archives sector and its responsibilities under the Royal Warrant of the HMC. Our purpose is to ensure sustained or improved preservation of and access to the nation’s archive collections across the private, public and voluntary sectors.
To do this we work locally, regionally and nationally to:
• Ensure that statutory provisions for records and archives are known, especially in relation to Places of Deposit, and to provide support to implement them
• Gather, share and re-use intelligence about archive collections
• Develop relationships with active collecting and archive holding institutions across the sector and so as to provide tailored support
• Develop and support archive sector and cross- sector networks that provide peer support and collaboration
• Offer a range of targeted standards and programmes to support sustainability and tackle identified challenges
• Build strategic working relationships with partners across the culture and heritage sector
• Work across teams in ASD, The National Archives, and the wider archives sector to identify and deploy expertise and best practice
• Design and deliver innovation programmes and training events
• Offer advice on best practice in relation to the management, curation and provision of access to archives
It is an exciting time for our work, as this year we are working to develop a new strategic vision for archives, to build on the success of the previous Government Policy Archives for the 21st Century.
Role and responsibilities
The Regional and Networks Team’s core purpose is to develop relationships with the archives sector across England, and with key regional, local and specialist stakeholders.
Team members each have wide ranging responsibilities with a large portfolio of archive services, networks and stakeholders including Places of Deposit, local authority archives, university archives, individuals, families and private institutions. In addition, sector development managers lead on building relationships with key strategic partners at the regional level including Arts Council England and Heritage Lottery Fund. Team members initiate and lead regional development programmes including strategic partnership development and represent The National Archives on national networks.
The post holder must be able to travel within the UK – on average three days a week outside the office, with associated overnight stays. Homeworking can be offered where appropriate.
For the full role details please visit the jobs page.