Brief for expressions of interest:
Phase 1 Exhibition Concept Design, branding & visual identity
Eden Rivers Trust and Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery are working in partnership to create a major new exhibition exploring the life and story of the River Eden which is part of the Cherish Eden project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The exhibition will be displayed at Tullie House from 16 June 2018 until 30 September 2018. The exhibition will be targeted at a family audience, particularly families with children aged 7 – 11 years old (Key Stage 2).
The exhibition will explore the idea that “the River Eden is an amazing place, making it a great place to explore”. This idea will be explored through 4 main themes:
- There are awe inspiring places to visit on the Eden
- The River Eden is bursting with life and home to amazing creatures
- We need to keep the river amazing
- You can take inspiration and get creative with the river
Tullie House’s natural history collection will provide an exploration of the creatures that can be seen in the river catchment, highlighting the animal’s unique features, special abilities and amazing adaptations (Theme 2.1). The total exhibition budget for design and build is approximately £40,000.
We would like to invite Design companies to tender to provide an Exhibition Concept Design for the project. This is the first design phase in the production of the exhibition. We are looking to commission an external designer with experience of working with organisations to produce high quality visitor experiences. The designer will work with Eden Rivers Trust and Tullie House to realise and establish the exhibition’s brand identity and to develop visual content.
Scope and Specification:
We require an external designer to create a Concept Design which will form the visual identity for the exhibition which will connect with and inspire our visitors. The design should shape the visitor experience within the exhibition.
Phase 1 Concept Design must include the following elements:
- A design concept to run throughout exhibition. This will create the visual identity of the exhibition, the look and feel and visitor experience. Ideally the partnership would like to explore a range of concept options as part of the design process.
- Design elements which will realise the exhibition concept such as colour themes, fonts and typography and other graphic elements.
- A range of ideas for other exhibition content e.g. staging ideas, use of commissioned art work, sound, lighting and projection.
- Creation and supply of a logo for exhibition.
- Creation of a minimum of 3 family-friendly characters, based upon creatures to act as family guides throughout the exhibition.
- Cost estimates for the design and build.
The above elements of the exhibition will require design, and artwork provided to the project team by the designer. The copyright for the artwork will sit with the project partners for use in promotional and commercial activity before, during and after the exhibition.
Phase 2 of the exhibition design (this is not part of this tender but provided for context)
Using the visual identity/style created above a detailed exhibition design will be created (phase 2). This will be fulfilled by a range of external contractors (which may or may not involve the phase 1 designer) and Tullie House in-house team.
We anticipate that the following elements will be produced:
- Exhibition graphics: approx. 40 interpretation panels (text); approx. 20 graphic; panels. Approx. 100 labels
- Exhibition staging: Lighting and projection; Sound. Structures: Display cabinets for exhibits; Temporary structures to add to the visitor experience
- Exhibition layout
- Detailed costings
- Promotional material to include, but not limited to: 2-3 leaflets; Posters (with resizing); banners (print and digital and resizing); advertising (print and digital and resizing); signage; activity sheets
Budget for Phase 1 Concept Design:
Phase 1 Exhibition Design Concept Creation – £2000.00 plus vat
Key Contacts at Eden Rivers Trust:
Jane Davies, Heritage and Outreach Coordinator , email@example.com; 01768866788
Process for applying:
Submit expressions of interest to:
Jane Davies, Jane@edenrt.org, Eden Rivers Trust, Dunmail Building, Newton Rigg College, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 0AH. Deadline for expressions of interest: Monday 5th of June 2017 by 12.00 noon.
As part of your expression of interest please describe your relevant experience referencing projects of a similar nature. Please include images and or references to websites where examples can be seen.
Please describe your methodology, including key stages and timescales, and a breakdown of how the specification can be achieved within this budget. If additional costs are anticipated to meet the specification please outline these.
The successful applicant will be expected to begin work on the project in June 2017 for completion by the 18th August 2017 or earlier.
If you have any enquiries regarding the project please contact Jane Davies, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. An interpretation plan for the project is available on request.