Salary: NJC Grade D £19,554 – £21,166 pro rata for part time working
Location: Blackpool, UK
Hours: Part-time, 22.2 hours per week
Contract: Temporary until 15th June 2020
Closing date: 29th July 2019
Blackpool Council Heritage Service is seeking a Collections Assistant to support with the delivery of its flagship project, Marvels and Mayhem. Grant funded by the Collection Fund in 2017 the project aims to preserve, document and provide access to the Blackpool Tower Circus Collection of posters, programmes and photographs.
Main purpose of the Job
During the first year the Heritage Service has worked with volunteers and members of the circus community to clean, rehouse, gather research and build knowledge. The time is right to start recording the collections and information gathered in the collections management system.
This is an exciting time for the Heritage Service and the project as it works in partnership with the Blackpool Museum Project to develop displays on Circus. The Collections Assistant will play an important role in making the circus collection information accessible and usable during the delivery phase of the Museum Project.
- To collate and compile collections data from various sources including specialist communities, volunteers, heritage team members and collections.
- To document collections according to set procedures and protocols using primarily the collections management database, Emu.
- Assisting with basic collections care and management (e.g. handling, cleaning, boxing, and digitisation)
- Ensuring security of collections by being vigilant and following object handling and security procedures.
- To support the Collections Manager in maintaining positive relationships with specialist community members and volunteers.
- Support with the delivery of the Blackpool Museum Project, e.g. processing and identifying collections for the project and basic research
As a small team, the post-holder may be required to cover front of house and customer services within the History Centre as and when required.
With strong organisational, communication and computer skills the successful candidate will be someone with an interest in History and Heritage or circus performance.
For further details and to apply see here