Accreditation scheme and MDNW
Accreditation is the UK standard for museums and galleries endorsed by Arts Council England. Since April 2015 Accreditation technical advice and support has been provided by MDNW as part of our programme. We will continue this function in 2018-19.
We will specifically provide technical advice and support to Accredited museums and those officially working towards Accreditation. Technical advice provides guidance based on the content of the Accreditation guidance documents to:
- New applicants and returning participants preparing a regular compliance return
- Provisionally Accredited museums
- Museums which may require a significant change review
- Work in partnership with other bodies delivering Accreditation specific training and/or awareness workshops
- Advise museums regarding interpretation of the standard to their size and scale
- Promote and signpost opportunities to undertake the Museum Mentor role and to facilitate conversations between potential mentors and museums seeking a mentor
What support is available?
- When ACE’s light touch review is complete (see below), we will provide a training programme specifically to address the requirements of the Accreditation standard for museums preparing a return
- We will provide an update on Accreditation at regional meetings and forums
- Guidance is available via the Arts Council website (see below)
- One-to-one support is available via email or phone
- Many of the development programmes run by MDNW will support museums to achieve or maintain Accreditation, directly or indirectly
ACE review of Accreditation scheme
In 2018 Arts Council England and its UK Accreditation Partners are still working on a light-touch review of certain aspects of the Museum Accreditation scheme.
The refreshed scheme is due to be launched in 2018. The first set of invitations to submit against the revised 2018 Standard will be sent out in autumn 2018 with a six month deadline as before. Museums holding a provisional award will be contacted separately. A new returns schedule is being prepared by the UK Accreditation Partnership and will be published on Arts Council’s website later this year. Any work a museum has already done in preparing for its return will still be valid and the museum’s Accreditation status will not change during this time. The core elements of the Standard will stay the same.
For any museums originally due to submit from mid-2017 onwards and affected by the review, your museum’s current Accreditation award remains valid in the meantime so this will not impact on your award status.
For further information about the Accreditation review see –http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/accreditation-scheme/accreditation-review-faqs.
Guidance and resources
The Accreditation scheme is managed directly by Arts Council England and detailed requirements on the scheme, including how to apply and accompanying guidance can be found via the Arts Council website –http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/supporting-museums/accreditation-scheme-0
Resources can also be found on the Collections Trust website –https://collectionstrust.org.uk/accreditation/
What if my museum isn’t Accredited?
For museums and other heritage organisations which are not Accredited or officially working towards Accreditation, we will deliver a workshop once a year to look at the benefits and practicalities of applying to become Accredited. We will also support organisations wishing to complete an eligibility questionnaire to start to officially work towards Accreditation. Staff and volunteers from non-Accredited museums are welcome to attend MDNW training although priority is given to Accredited members.
Who to contact
If you have read the Accreditation guidance documents and require further support in applying to or renewing Accreditation:
- For Accreditation return support – Lynsey Jones, Museum Development Officer & Accreditation Adviser, email@example.com, 07748 147240
- For queries regarding when to expect to hear back once a return has been submitted, to apply to become a mentor, to submit an eligibility questionnaire, or to receive a copy of your previous application – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical queries regarding the online form – Arts Council’s customer services team, email@example.com, 0845 300 620