The Fund is designed with applications from UK organisations in mind, but any organisation is eligible to apply. Organisations must be working with local partner organisations in one or more of the Fund’s current target countries within the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, specifically: Afghanistan, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Iraq, Palestinian Territories, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey and Yemen.
Due to timescales, applicants for this initial round of funding will be required to have existing partners in the target countries. Information on the experience and credentials of these partnerships, as well as a strong knowledge and understanding of local context, must be provided.
The next funding round will be launched on 1 September 2016, and all applicants, including those who are still developing partnerships in target countries, will be able to apply.
There will be a two-stage application process, with applicants being asked to complete an Expression of Interest Form in order to confirm eligibility, before being invited to complete an Application Form. It will be possible to apply for multi-year grants, and the maximum for any such application will be £3m. The maximum for a single-year application will be £500K.
All applicants will need to provide a clear project plan and timeline, evidence of demand, delivery capability, detailed project costs and information on how risks will be managed and monitored. Project evaluation will be a key requirement of all grant awards.
June 2016 – Initial round of funding (large and small grants)
For applicants with existing partners in target countries only
- Call for Expressions of Interest: opens 27 June , closes 1 August *
- Deadline for Application Forms: 31 August
- Applicants notified of awards at the end of November (low-risk applications may be fast-tracked for earlier decision in exceptional cases)
*You are encouraged to submit your Expression of Interest form as early as possible in order to maximise your time for completing the Application Form.
1 September 2016
The full application process for the Fund will launch in September. This will be open to all applicants seeking funding, including those who are still developing partnerships in target countries. There will be separate application processes for small and large grants. For large grants there will be two rounds of funding per financial year, and small grants will run on a rolling basis with quarterly decision meetings.
Large Grants: April 2017 award
- Call for Expressions of Interest: opens 1 September 2016 , closes 28 October 2016
- Deadline for application forms: 19 December 2016
- Applicants notified in April 2017
Small Grants programme
- Small grants applications will be available from 1 September 2016
- Decisions will be made on a quarterly basis
- Applications received before mid-October will be considered at the first decision meeting at the beginning of December
If you have any questions, or would like to be added to our newsletter, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.